Monday 23 July 2007

An NBA junkie from afar.

Non poker related post! What the fugg?!

I've been an NBA freek since I can't remember. Look, I'm 36 and have always loved hoops in any shape or form. My 'hometown' Perth Wildcats (Andrew Vlahov, who some of you may remember as a Stanford player, is majority owner) were at the peak of their powers when I was 10 years old. It was a boom sport in Oz back then. (For the record, it's sputtering nowadays. The football codes are just too all-consuming as our winter sports.)

As for the NBA, it was always something I loved, but just couldn't get enough of. There was a weekly (!) highlights package that you could consume, and THAT WAS IT. It's like a world away now, thanks to the wonders of the 'web'. So to explain, I was lucky enough to catch the tail end of the Bird-Magic days ... the ascent of Jordan ... and the first ever Dream Team. Ahhh, those were the days!

The NBA still holds great allure to me. Partly because if it's played the way ... 'it's supposed to be played' .... it's a thing of beauty. Crisp passing, movement without the ball ... love it. And I've finished top 3 in my first (and last) three Yahoo Fantasy NBA leagues. It helps soothe my inner GM!

But THIS is a real concern. To partially quote the incredible MUSE - SUPERMASSIVE. I've provided a few links of articles I've read over the last few days.

Schwarz - Topic overview - NY Times

Lopresti - USA Today

Stein - ESPN

McCallum - SI

Ratto - CBS

and the always readable Bill Simmons - ESPN Page 2.

I'd love some feedback from you Yanks. This is gonna be explosive shizz in the lead up (and probably all the way thru) this NBA season.

And a few NBA asides .... Is Rashard Lewis really worth a MAX DEAL?!!!!! You've gotta be kidding me!

Brad Newley (Rockets 2nd round pick this year) is a serious talent, but I can't see him coming to the States to ride the pine. He's a star in Oz, and would be in Europe too. On mega-bucks, rather than the NBA minimum.

Andrew Bogut is a twat. If he focused on rebounding like he does openning his trap, he'd be much more popular here at home.

If Steve Nash was still with the Mavs, they'd have two rings by now.

The Raptors to be the big improvers this year.

Love to hear your thoughts!

1 comment:

Mr Subliminal said...

Strewth mate, I chuckled when I saw the link to Bazza Greenstein. Good one.

W00t!

Work?! Bah!!!!!

Waste time here!

Orsome!