Monday 30 July 2007

Why we love this game we call Poker.

This is going to be a very philosophical post. I mean, the reason I started this blog was to learn more about the game, write down musings and join the (vastly) more savvy players in the wider blogger community with a view to eventually mixing it up in the BBT and Mondays at the Hoy.

But Saturday night helped crystalize what I already knew. Reinforced it.

Poker is a brilliant passtime to enjoy.

What I'm putting to you is ... "When did you last stop, and REALLY FEEL IT?" I mean, I know I'm not grinding away in online MTTs or cash games, taking bad beats in the arse every day ... but ....

My luv-er-ly lady Suze had a big work function and so did Deerhunter's luv-er-ly wife, Carls. So both off the leash, we hooked up to do what we do best. Run amok, and play poker.

Run amok we did. With feeling! Smashed up and lovin' it. But that's by the by ....

The point of this post is to just explain how much fucking fun it was.

Firstly, The Deerhunter, Zac and myself played til 9pm! (Christ, I hope his mother never stumbles across this blog!!) Two re-buys each. Zac beat us BOTH. Sure he hit a couple of killer suckouts, but he played SO WELL. Even the Deerhunter said it was frightening! And I was the card rack! He's a really, really good little player. Brings a tear to Daddy's eye!

Remember, he's just turned SEVEN!

(Quote of the night - Zaccy said to the Deerhunter. "I wish you were dealt Kings, and I get bullets. The flop comes A, A, K. You flop a book and I flop quads." FUCK, DID WE LAUGH!!!!)

But then after I put Zac into bed, the Deerhunter and I just played hand after hand after hand after hand. We drank plenty, a bong or four and sucked on a fine cuban each. The only thing we could've used was a nymphette peeling us grapes!

But the POKER.... the poker .... just fucking awesome.

No cash. Just pride.

No pushmonkey tilt shit. Just cards.

Getting in ahead. Going down to an unlucky card on the river. It's ok. It's gonna happen.

Laying down great hands to monsters.

Optimizing monsters!

Reads. Tells.

Changing it up. Trying different things. Gambling.

Consecutive pocket bullets! (And playing them the second time like they were presto!)

IT WAS SOUL ENRICHING STUFF.

I woke up Sunday very bloody average, but still buzzing. A couple of hours of poker with Zac was great for us and brilliant for him. Then the cherry on top, about 5 more hours of heads up with one of the very best fellas on the planet. And I fucking told him so too.

THIS is why I love poker.

2 comments:

Pseudo_Doctor said...

ahh the good old days of the pure love of the game...enjoy the beginning because IMO that thrill doesn't last for long after you've done it for a while except in those brief moments..

Dillo said...

I hope I never lose it Doc. At least that's the plan!

I'm a Sagittarian tho, so I'm an optimistic bloke!

W00t!

Work?! Bah!!!!!

Waste time here!

Orsome!